General Questions

Questions & Answers

When is the best time to move?

Between May 15th and September 1st is “peak period,” where equipment and personnel are in high demand. If your moving plans are flexible, avoid moving during this time frame. The end and the beginning of each month is a busy time as well. Schedule your move for the middle of the month and movers will be in less demand.

back to top

How far in advance should I contact a mover?

Provide as much advance notice as you can. In order to leave adequate time to handle all move details, six to eight weeks is the suggested amount of notice.

back to top

How long will my in home survey take?

The in-home survey can last anywhere from one half hour to two hours. This will depend upon the size of your home, the parameters of your move, as well as the number of questions that you may have of us. We suggest that you allow an ample amount of time, as the more and better information that we have about your move, the better service we will be able to provide.

back to top

Do you move locally?

Yes. We can move you locally, within the same state, interstate (between states) and internationally.

back to top

How long will it take for my belongings to arrive at my new location?

Typically, from 2 to 7 days depending on where you’re moving and the size of your move. On average, the moving van will travel about 450 miles per day. Also, the driver may load and unload other shipments in route. Check with your move coordinator for details on your move.

back to top

What is a load spread?

A load spread is the predetermined span or choice of days that we need to load your belongings. Because there are normally multiple families’ belongings on the van, we need a range of days to ensure that we can directly load and unload your goods.

back to top

Am I protected against loss or damage while my goods are in transit?

Yes, but how much protection and the cost of the protection is dependent upon the valuation coverage you select. This can be one of the most confusing aspects of moving, but it is important that you fully understand what is being provided to you. Valuation is the liability of the moving company; it is not insurance. Often times your homeowners insurance covers moving. Check with your insurance provider to find out whether you are covered for moving.

The valuation option you choose determines the basis upon which a claim will be adjusted and the maximum liability of the carrier. The liability of a carrier for loss or damage is based upon the carrier’s tariffs, as well as federal laws and regulations that have certain limitations and exclusions.

Basic Carrier Liability – This is the most economical option as it is no cost to you. This option, however, provides only minimal protection and is not sufficient coverage for most shipments. Released value pays $.60 per pound per article if lost or damaged. That means a piece of furniture weighing 75lbs would receive a settlement of $45.00.

Extra Care Protection – This is your most comprehensive coverage. You may hear it referred to as “full replacement value” or “full value protection.” If you elect to purchase full value protection, articles that are lost, damaged or destroyed will be either repaired, replaced with like items, or a cash settlement will be made for the current market replacement value (regardless of the age of the lost or damaged item). Depreciation of a lost or damaged item is not a factor in determining replacement value when the shipment is moved under full value protection. The cost of full value protection may be further subject to various deductible levels of liability that may reduce your cost. Ask your mover for the details of their specific plan.

back to top

What items cannot be moved?

The following materials are restricted:

  • Flammables
  • Combustibles such as aerosol cans
  • Paints, thinners and varnishes
  • Gasoline, kerosene, oil and bottled gas
  • Nail polish and remover
  • Ammunition and explosives
  • Corrosives and cleaning fluids
  • Perishables

back to top

Can I take my plants?

We cannot accept responsibility for safely moving plants. There is no safe way to pack and move them. Also, because of the length of time on the van and the variances in temperature, plants typically do not survive the trip. Some states actually prohibit the entry of all plants, while other states will admit plants under specific conditions. Still others have no regulations on plants. Suggestion: move them in the car with you or make arrangements to give them to a friend.

back to top

How will you move my car?

Automobiles are moved directly on the moving van with your household goods, or on a car carrier. If your car is loaded on the van, it can be loaded at the residence with specially designed car loading ramps or it can be taken to a local warehouse and driven on from inside the warehouse. Once it is inside the van it is secured to the floor and a deck is constructed over the car with specially designed bars to support loading over the car.

back to top

What will happen if my belongings need to be stored?

If you can’t move into your home at the time your belongings are delivered, we can safely store the goods in one of our facilities or one of hundreds of other Allied agent facilities. At the time you are ready to receive your belongings, simply notify your move coordinator and we will make arrangements for delivery.

back to top

Will others’ belongings be on the van with mine?

Unless your belongings will fill up the entire moving van, then there will be other goods loaded onto the van with yours. But rest assured each shipment is inventoried separately and sectioned off within the van to make sure there is no co-mingling of shipments.

Do the items in my dresser drawers need to be packed?

Fragile, breakable or valuable items should be removed from your drawers. Fragile and breakable items should be packed and valuables should be transported by you. When you are sure that your belongings will not go into storage, then you can leave non-breakable, non-valuables in your dresser drawers. If your belongings are bound for storage, then all contents of drawers must be emptied.

back to top

How will you protect my upholstered furniture?

Stretch Wrap will be used to wrap all of your overstuffed items to prevent soiling and other damage.

back to top

Do I need to be present when the movers are there?

We request that you or someone who can act on your behalf be present the entire time the packers and movers are in your home. You will need to sign paperwork and verify services performed. In addition, you will want to ensure that all services are being performed to your satisfaction.

back to top

What should be done about jewelry and other valuables?

Movers are not responsible for cash, coin and stamp collections or jewelry. We strongly suggest you find a safe place to keep your valuables during the move process.

back to top

What will be done to protect my carpets, walls and interior of my home?

The moving team will cover your entryway and heavy traffic areas with rug runners, and your stairwells with protectors. If you need further protection, notify your move coordinator.

back to top

What are my charges based on?

For an interstate move, your charges are based on the weight of your shipment, together with the mileage between origin and destination. At the time of your estimate, your moving counselor will be happy to explain the itemized charges on your estimate, which would include any packing, crating, uncrating and coverage.

On a local move, charges are based upon the time required to perform your move. Charges are normally quoted by the hour for “one van and two men” or the appropriate number of vans and men required. Packing of cartons is normally charged by the carton.

back to top

What is the difference between a binding and non-binding estimate?

A non-binding estimate requires you to pay based on the actual weight of your shipment and the services performed. A binding estimate is a guaranteed price that will not be exceeded unless additional services are ordered and performed that are not listed on your paperwork.

back to top

How do I prepare my appliances for moving?

Appliances such as washers, dryers and refrigerators must be disconnected, and the washer must have a stabilizer installed. Again, your estimator can help you understand how to these items are serviced. All local moving companies have business relationships with local service providers that handle this type of service. Be sure you know who your mover will be using as you will need to let these people into your home to provide the service.

back to top

Where do “extra charges” come from?

At the time of your estimate, if you fail to show your moving consultant a certain area of the home (e.g., crawl space, shed or attic) or you anticipated a garage sale that never happened, then the cost of moving these items are additional.

back to top

What payment options are available?

Most moves require payment up front or upon delivery in certified funds, cash or money order. Other options such as credit cards are available. You should discuss these options with your move consultant to see which one is best for you. If your employer is paying for your move, arrangements can be made to directly invoice your company.

back to top

Can't find what you are looking for?

Agent for Allied Van Lines Facebook
close (X)